Teacher Education (Alternate Route)
New Pathways to Teaching in New Jersey
New Pathways to Teaching in New Jersey (NPTNJ) is a statewide alternate route teacher preparation program of 400 hours designed to provide candidates with the skills and strategies necessary to become excellent, successful teachers. The program provides a process for individuals who already hold a Bachelors degree (or higher) to become licensed teachers without having to complete a traditional teacher training program. Candidates can take the NPTNJ pre-service coursework (50 hours) at CCM. Following the required 50-hour program, the remaining 350 hours are spread across four semesters or approximately two years of online learning under the oversight and administration of New Jersey City University (NJCU). NJCU New Pathways Program
The NPTNJ program is regulated and approved by the N.J. Department of Education (NJDOE) and accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). A Standard Certificate will be issued after the candidate completes the 400 hours of course work, successfully teaches for two years, and completes an edTPA Portfolio with a passing grade. This program prepares candidates for a standard K-12 Teaching Certificate. PreK-3 and Certificates of Technical Education must find alternate programs. .
Candidates must complete 400 hours of training over the course of 2 years:
- A 50-hour pre-service course at CCM
- 4 semesters of online education with NJCU
Candidates may choose to complete the training for 15 credits towards a Master’s Degree from NJCU or as a non-credit student.
To enter the 350 hour semester phase of the program a candidate must possess a Certificate of Eligibility (CE) from the NJ DOE and successfully pass the Praxis II. A Certificate of Eligibility is not required to register for the CCM pre-service course. Candidates are not required to have a position as Teacher or Co-Teacher of Record to enter the 4 semesters of training for the remainder of the program through NJCU.
For complete and current information on certificate of eligibility requirements, please visit the NJ DOE website.
This program is for candidates who possess:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited four year college or university
- GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Passing PRAXIS II score
- Certificate of Eligibility (CE). Please see the NJ DOE website for current requirements.
- A minimum score on a standardized College entrance exam as defined by the NJ DOE. Go to this link for details.
Before contacting CCM, please be sure you have thoroughly reviewed the NJ DOE website for the requirements needed for the specific teaching certification you desire.
NJCU New Pathways to Teaching in New Jersey
Semesters 1, 2, 3 and 4 are offered fully online by NJCU.
- Semester 1 (105 hours): may be taken for 7 graduate credits.
- Semester 2 (90 hours): may be taken for 6 graduate credits.
- Semester 3 (90 hours): may be taken for 6 graduate credits.
- Semester 4 (84 hours): may be taken for 5 graduate credits.
- State Performance Assessment via edTPA Portfolio.
To begin the New Pathways to Teaching process:
1. Application into Semester One requires the following:
- Verification of completion of 50-hour Pre-service Introduction to Teaching class.
- Letter of employment from school district (if you have secured a job)
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited four-year college or university
- GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Passing PRAXIS II score
- Copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (CE).
2. Concurrently during the pre-service phase, candidates should:
- Complete the NJ DOE requirements to obtain a Certificate of Eligibility to teach. See the NJ DOE website for the required documents.
3. A Provisional Certificate will be issued by the NJ DOE through the School District in which the candidate works after candidates have completed the 50 hours of pre-service, have accepted an offer of employment, have confirmed enrollment in the New Pathway’s 400-hour program and are enrolled in a district mentoring program.
For further information, call 201-200-2128 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
|Course Code||Course Title||CEUs|
|ALT-113||NPTNJ Introduction to Teaching - 50 Hour Preservice Component||3|
To register, go to https://webadvisor.ccm.edu/ and click on "Continuing Education (Non-Credit)." Have your credit card, social security number, and 5-digit Course Code number ready.
NPTNJ Introduction to Teaching - 50 Hour Preservice Component
This 50-hour course replaces the "Introduction to Teaching Course - 24-hour Component". It includes 30 hours of classroom training, 8 hours of observing other certified teachers, and 12 hours of direct student contact as a substitute, tutor or afterschool program teacher. ALT-113.